What to Pack For Europe in the Spring | TRAVEL

So you’re thinking about packing for a trip to Europe and you’ve got no idea what to pack? We’ve all been there. I’ve overpacked (lugging 40 lbs around Paris was NOT fun), underpacked (had to do laundry in hotel bathroom sinks with bar soap), but I think that since the past year, I’ve figured out a way to pack just right.

It is so important NOT to overpack. I repeat: DO NOT OVERPACK. It is way better to not have enough clothes, than to have too many. You can always buy the things that you want instead of having to throw away things because you can’t take how heavy your bag is.

The weather in London in the Spring is around 10 C or 50 F, and the weather in Paris is similar (around 12 C or 54 F). The further south you go, the warmer it will be, so feel free to adjust this list as you need to depending on your itinerary.

So with all that being said, here we go!

The bigger the scarf, the bigger the likelihood of comfort. Do not bring a knit scarf. It’s chunky and thick and will take up more space than you need. Find one that adds a pop of color to dress up or change a look. A scarf will keep your neck warm, add an extra layer of style, serve as a pillow on a train, an extra sheet on a bed, and protection from light rain. Try one that’s not as easy to get wrinkled, like this one from Shop Vida.

Find a dark, classic wool coat to bring to layer over when it gets chilly at night. A lined trenchcoat will work as well. The reason I say lined, is because a normal trenchcoat will probably not keep you as warm. If you’ve only got a regular trenchcoat, bring a cashmere sweater so you don’t get too cold in the evening. Since everything I’m wearing is usually a solid color (okay, mostly everything will be black), I love to bring a fun, printed coat with classic structure, like this one from Venus Over Water.

Key word, opaque, people. No one wants to be seen in what-you-thought-were-opaque-but-ended-up-being-translucent leggings.  Leggings are a girl’s best friend.  I never leave for anywhere without them. They’re usually what I’m wearing on the day I’m heading to the airport.  Choosing leggings that are higher quality and will last you longer is also extremely important for me, since I’d rather pay a little bit more for a product that lasts, then a cheap pair that will 1) show my bum to the world, and 2) rip when I bend over to tie my shoes.  I always pack this pair of leggings from My Adea.

I like to pack tights that are also opaque and fleece-lined. They’re extremely light and won’t add any more weight to your bag. Save them and wear them under a skirt or a dress on the nights that you want to look a bit more dressy (i.e. dinner and dancing with the girls or man-friend).

Yes. Sneakers. You need them. They’re so comfortable, you won’t be the friend complaining when you have to walk around the city all day. I always wear Nike Roshe sneakers (I have 3 pairs). They are absolutely, hands-down, the most comfortable sneakers I’ve ever worn in my life.

For the times we shouldn’t be wearing sneakers (i.e. dinner and dancing with the girls or man-friend), bring some nice flats or leather ankle boots. I always opt for black. Make sure they’re walkable, and don’t buy them right before you leave. Breaking shoes in is absolutely necessary before bringing them on a trip with you.

I like to bring one black blouse, a long-sleeve Uniqlo heat tech top, a casual cotton tee-shirt, and one black tank top. Mostly all of the tops will be black (Is that the New York City in me?). Make sure they’re as wrinkle-free and layer-friendly as possible. You’re not going to want to spend time ironing your tops, so avoid materials like silk. Opt for cotton, rayon or polyester.

Dresses are easy because you don’t have to put together any tops or bottoms. Pull one piece of clothing over your head and you’re good to go! Since everything else in my bag is usually really classic, I like to include a dress that’s a bit bolder or printed.

I bring skirts that I can wear with tights + a tee or blouse. They work great for day to night, so you don’t have to worry about changing for dinner. A maxi skirt and a shorter, A-line skirt are usually what I bring.

And since that was so much for you to read, I’ll sum it all up in a list here:

• 1 Big, Lightweight Scarf
  • 1 Wool or Lined Trench Coat
  • 1 Pair of Leggings
  • 1 Pair of Tights
  • 1 Pair of Sneakers
  • 1 Pair of (Walkable) Flats or Ankle Boots
  • 4 Wrinkle-Free, Layer-Friendly Tops/Tees
  • 1 Dress
  • 2 Skirts
  • As many undergarments you feel necessary to make yourself comfortable.

I hope this helps! Do you have any additional pointers tips for packing or for what NOT to pack when going to Europe in the Spring? Leave a comment and let us know below. 🙂

P.S.And one last resource:I’d recommend checking out Flightright – a company that helps people get compensation when flight-related issues occur, i.e. flight delays or cancellations. It’s a way to get money back for money spent, and a good way to feel a bit more secure about your upcoming travel plans.

Also, if you liked this article, you may also like: How to Backpack Without Looking Like a Backpacker

22 COMMENTS ON "What To Pack For Europe (Paris + London) in the Spring"

Thanks for the tips! I’ll be heading to Paris and visiting more of Europe this spring. This list will definitely come in handy! 🙂

So excited for you Eden! That’s awesome!

You always got to be prepared for everything – so a bit of everything is the right way to go x.

Yes ma’am – but sometimes having too much is such an inconvenience. I’m horrible with heavy luggage. So I try to pack as light as possible and if I need things, I usually end up buying them wherever I am at the time.

this is great!!!

Thanks Camila! xx

Thank you for the list! This is exactly what I need – can’t wait for my Paris and London trip this Spring!

SOOOOO excited for you! (and a little jealous)

Thanks for sharing the list. I will be traveling to europe this spring, and this list would help a lot. I wonder why you didn’t include comfortable denims/trousers though.

I normally don’t wear pants unless they’re leggings because … I hate pants. BUT if you wear them often, definitely bring them! I am not much of a jeans girl because they’re too bulky and if they don’t stretch (like leggings), I’m hating my life lol!

and pack in outfits!! that will avoid having brought a red coat, a pink cardigan and blue shoes….for London in spring I would add a trench and a pair of shades too. And no trekking shoes people, no trekking shoes 😉

SO TRUE!!! I was considering buying hiking boots and bringing them (for what reason, I do not know), but I’m glad I decided not to. 😀

Great list! I’m heading to Prague in a week and need to think strategically as only taking hand luggage. I’ll be wearing as many heavy layers as my body can carry, but coats are always a problem! If it’s icy cold I want my sheepskin coat… But that’s too thick and cumbersome if I wanna hit some clubs! Hmmmmmm maybe the wool coat is a good choice then!
Thaaaanks 🙂

I’d recommend layering in thin materials but wearing many of them – I usually bring a cashmere turtleneck sweater (mine is from Uniqlo) and layer it with heat-tech! Then I bring my wool coat or parka and I’m set! For Prague I’d definitely recommend a wool coat. 🙂 I don’t think you need a sheepskin coat BUT it would look absolutely fabulous haha

YES. We must agree: anything black, grey, white, brown, or navy and you will fit right in! We made the mistake of taking color when we studied abroad for a year – never have we felt more American.

Hahaha YES! So funny – it’s true, though – you notice most people wear neutrals and dark colors. NEVER TOO MUCH COLOR!

Wondering about a jacket? lightweight blazer? Denim jacket? Or is that a no no? Am thinking that the trench may be too much in May (headed to Paris next week)

Denim is totally workable but I would prefer a light trench or a longer blazer/jacket (think cotton/rayon material but trench cut) because it can be both casual and dressy/night-time. So excited for your trip to Paris! (jealous as well =P) Have an amazing time! And remember – you can ALWAYS buy a jacket when you get there =P

Thanks! I have a traditional length black trench which I took last time (visited in early March) and it was perfect. Thinking it’s a bit heavy for May but what do you think about one of these options? One is a steel (dark grey) lightweight trench style and the other is a black/taupe hip length jacket that has a ‘cinchable’ waist. A bit more casual.

The grey one is amazing but the black one would be easier to pack and more comfortable. <3 xx

Andrea TheBloggingMama
I am leaving for a 7 day trip to London on Sunday and was just pulling things together this afternoon when i saw this post (via Pinterest). I wasn’t even paying attention to the ironing rule! I’ll be nixing a button down that’s definitely a wrinkle issue from my suitcase. I’ve already marked out my leggings and a comfy sweater for the flight (with a nice scarf in my carryon that could double as a mini blanket for the red eye). Great tips. I’ve traveled back and forth between the US and Europe for years, and I think this is… READ MORE »

hi… great info! thanks.
anyway,i would like to ask,
i am from malaysia (high temperature and humidity) and do you think necessary to bring sweatshirt too?
my travelling date is 12th may-28th may.
what do you think.i never been to europe in spring time,so have no idea what to wear, i’ve been to amsterdam,london and paris on march,and yeah,it was so windy and freezing cold.