While I’m sitting here paying way too much money on rent my tiny bedroom in Brooklyn, New York – I’m putting some serious thought into the quality of life that one could gain by moving somewhere that’s “away from it all.”

Sure, I’m young enough to hustle, move around, and I should absolutely be experiencing city life now – because when I get older and ready to ‘settle down,’ I won’t want to stay here. But ever since I quit my job to pursue freelancing full-time, I’ve thought about moving to a place where I can walk outside to sunshine, a view of a beach or the mountains, and breathe in fresh air.

Then I got to thinking about Thailand – breathtaking beaches, rising cities, the endless amounts of culture and scenic landscapes – I did some digging (still have a lot more to think about before moving), but here are five reasons why you could seriously consider moving to this magical country.

1. It’s cheap to eat, live and get around.

Floating Market in Thailand | Travel

Yes, I compare this to New York City, the land of the $14 cocktail (I won’t even get started on London). But the food in Thailand is absolutely delicious (spicy as sh-t), and comparably cheap to most places in the world. Walk into a night market and sample several different dishes for just a few dollars. Dish on pad thai for one US dollar, or try a soup (usually includes a drink + rice) for 3 USD.

thai street food

You can rent a motorbike for around $20 a month, and depending on what area of the country you decide to live in, you’ll have access to modern comforts and conveniences, including affordable, high-quality medical care.

2. You can live in paradise, for less.

Koh Samui Condo | Oceana Residence | Thailand

Luxury living in Thailand is just as luxurious, but in many cases a lot cheaper than a lot of places throughout the world. This condo from Oceana Residences in Ko Samui is just one example of some of the amazing luxury living properties popping up around the country.

In Phuket, a two-bedroom, two-bathroom villa with a pool, just a five minute walk to Kamala Beach, rents for around $647 a month. Sacrifice beach views and you can rent a three bedroom, two-bathroom home with 1,500 square feet for as little as $485 a month to the island’s north, near Nai Yang Beach.

I’m paying over a thousand dollars a month to live in a box on the 5th floor of an apartment building (no elevator). I can’t even imagine snagging a luxury condo right along the beach for half the cost.

3. The country is home to the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Railay Beach, Thailand | Travel
Railay Beach

Khao Lak Beach, Thailand
Khao Lak Beach

Freedom Beach Thailand
Freedom Beach

Sairee Beach, Thailand
Sairee Beach

Phra Nang Beach Thailand
Phra Nang Beach

4. Because, well, Bangkok.

rooftop bar in bangkok thailand

Bangkok is one of the most visited cities in the world.

Sky Bar Bangkok

Public transit is awesome and cheap. The Skytrain and Underground train will bring you to anywhere you need to go for around 60 cents to 1 USD.

Bangkok at dusk

The more modernized financial district is home to upscale living, cleaner streets and an all-around more modern experience.

But you can still walk around and find beautiful Buddhist temples on almost every street and corner in Bangkok.

Leader of the Pack.

The culture, nightlife, food and living in Bangkok make it one of the world’s best cities to play, eat and live.

So what do you think about Thailand? Would you want to live somewhere halfway across the world, and if so – where?

10 Secrets To Traveling Smarter, Cheaper, & Longer

26 COMMENTS ON "4 Reasons Why You Could Seriously Consider Moving To Thailand"

You just totally made my day. No lie, I’m buying my ticket to Thailand tonight!

And many more… Such a great city! 🙂

I think this could be a great place to live in! I love their culture, the food and their beaches (of course). I haven´t visited this country yet, but I can assure you that someday I will! I´m looking forward to it. For now, I´m living in Spain, my country and I´ve just returned from a couple of years living in Chile. Who can say where I finally end? 🙂

I’ve been to Thailand, and oh my..

Kayti Clayton

Thailand and Singapore are both on my list to hopefully teach English in once I’m finished backpacking. Love this post!!

It’s like you literally read my mind! I’m planning on staying in the UK for a bit longer, get some more skills under my belt including a TEFL course, and then I’m hoping to live in Asia for a bit, preferably thailand but if the Boyf comes with, it’ll have to be somewhere with surf!
Man do I love thailand though. It’s a place that holds so many fantastic memories and it’s just the epitome of freedom and relaxation! Let’s all move there now!

Yes! I spent a month living on Koh Samui last November and am already planning on returning for at least a couple more months this year. Love Thailand to bits 🙂

Koh samui is not really thailand, those of us that have lived here for over 10 years don’t even visit.

Feyi A

I need to go to Thailand like now! x

Thailand is on my Bucket Travel list…..reading this post makes me all the more determined to visit it! Hoping I will visit Thailand soon……

I actually do live across the world–I moved to central France from Michigan! It’s quite a different experience, but that’s the beauty of it. Thailand (and all of SE Asia, for that matter) is high on my travel list…one day soon I’ll make it there!

Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

I don’t know if I’m ready to move just yet, but I definitely want to visit Thailand. I moved from D.C. to Zurich, and it was life changing. Can’t imagine what a move to Southeast Asia would do.

I would love to do this as soon as I separate from the Air Force! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

You’ve sold it to me! When are we moving? 😉

Chalsie | The Workshop Co. x

Kari Guastella

I would love to be able to just pick up and move to another country for a year then move on elsewhere. Wanting to be close to my family keeps me from it though.

Adventurous Appetite

You should ABSOLUTELY move to Thailand! The people are wonderful, the food’s amazing, and it’s a great place to be travel-wise. Bangkok is a major travel hub for Southeast Asia and the cost of living is very low. 🙂

I dont think living there but visiting is a must, it looks so beautiful. When I travel I get worried about food because of being a vegetarian so i love the UK being all certified and all x

You just made me want to visit Thailand even more now! I’m not sure if I would live there, but definitely visit! I live in California but have always wanted to live in France.

I considered moving to Thailand to teach English but I ended up getting a job in the States. I definitely want to visit Thailand though! The cost of living, beautiful beaches, and proximity to traveling SE Asia make it seem like an awesome place to live.

FANTASTIC PHOTOS! Wow. I’ve got to get back to Thailand. Sometimes I sit at my desk at work and look at the prices of apartments in Thailand on Craigslist. (I know, it’s sick.) It’s just so much cheaper than my apartment in Raleigh for WAY better scenary.

Joanna G.

Well I’ve always wanted to visit Thailand but with this article you really make me want to go and try to live there haha

April Black

Hi! Nice post! If you’re still in Thailand and coming up to Chiang Mai some time, I’d love to meet up with you. I’ve been living here for 2.5 years now and love to show people around. If you’re game or at least have some questions about CM, let me know. 🙂

Ines Marques

I miss Thailand in general so much! Nice people and really nice lanscapes! Hope get back soon.

#Convinced. We’re two NYC-based travel bloggers, except, not anymore, cuz we’re getting out of NYC in one month to do some more traveling! Jinna, we JUST found your blog and this was our first post of yours – trust us, we will be skimming your blog DAILY! Keep up the AMAZING work. BRB, moving to Thailand.

Thailand is great! I would love to move there for a year, so I can get to know the culture and the places good enough! I have a friend who has just returned from a long stay there and she is so fascinated by everything. 🙂 Thanks for the helpful post!