I’m not good with stress. Handling it, managing it, reducing it, living with it – stress is a byproduct of life that I had previously never been able to get a handle on. And with all that stress, comes anxiety – the million-mile-per-hour (at many times contradictory) thoughts, rapid heartbeat, uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach. Anxiety for me has led to countless mini-meltdowns all because I was so worried about what COULD happen in any given situation, not focused on what was happening at that very moment.

That’s right, anxiety is one big as-hole, so I thought I’d share some things that I do to kick it in its big a-s.

new york city

Many times when we’re sitting in an office or in our room, we give our minds too much power to think. In an enclosed space, we are mentally (and physically) shut in, and going outside has helped distract me from my own thoughts.

If you’re lucky enough to be outside and enjoy a beautiful sunny day, do take advantage of it. If there isn’t any sun, go outside anyway, and watch the world working around you. If you step outside of your immediate environment and place yourself in another one, you’ll notice small things that may inspire you, relax you, or motivate you to be grateful for the little things.

3 Ways To Kick Anxiety in the Ass

Yes, I know that your smartphone does everything you need – Siri can schedule your meetings for you, and Evernote can update your tasks for the day, but there is absolutely NOTHING like good old pen and paper. I tend to get most anxious when I feel like I have way too many things to do, and I’m not sure how to even get started.

When preparing to travel, I tend to freak out if I think I may have forgotten one tiny little thing. So I started writing things down – a list that I can check off whenever I’ve packed a certain item.

When working, I often feel overwhelmed with the tasks that I have in front of me, and I don’t know where to begin. So I started writing things down – it helped me visualize what I needed to do on an even playing field. I can then decide which tasks hold more weight – or have a tighter deadline – and tackle each, one by one.

3 Ways To Kick Anxiety in the Ass

Ever get anxiety about performing, presenting, or trying something new? It could be something as simple (or as terrifying) as going on a first date. The best way to lessen the hold that anxiety has over you, is to PRACTICE.

Go out on more first dates. Have your bestie mock interview you in your pajamas. Practice your craft. Do more of what you fear, and you will start to build the confidence you have lacked. Confidence is built with practice, believe it or not – so just keep pushing!

What are some of the things you’ve done to reduce or get rid of your anxiety?

15 COMMENTS ON "3 Ways To Kick Anxiety in the Ass"

Kari Guastella

These are great tips to help not only ease stress but also improve quality of life!

Wonderful tips, always helpful to read you! I do usually try to count up to 10, smartly and slowly. With love,

The Flash Window | Bloglovin

Brilliantly inspiring as usual Jinna!

Sensory deprivation and overload is such a fascinating thing. I struggle with anxiety as well, and it’s challenging because some of my best ideas come when I’m taking a shower and the sensory deprivation allows my mind to become focused. On the other hand, the sensory overload of going outside, the sounds, the wind, the sun, the feel of it, really does help distract your mind from whatever worries you are focused on. Really interesting things to think about.

These are great tips. Just by getting outside and changing my surroundings is very helpful.

A lovely post and really useful tips.

Was scrolling through new blogs and saw your wonderful post. It was perfect timing with a perfect post so thank you!

Megan ||

I don’t know about anyone else, but I can always use a few reminders and tips about how to deal with anxiety. Thank you. And your blog is beautiful.

I struggle with anxiety sometimes and it’s a lot worse in the winter months when I’m cooped up inside and it’s dark all the time. I feel a lot better in the summer when I can get outside in the evenings. I like my job, but I miss being up and about rather than sat at a desk all day. I write things down but I also have found that I write too much and have lists upon lists. So now I try and keep one list and make it really short. If I get through that then I can… READ MORE »

These three steps is good for nearly anything in life.

Totally agree with all of these especially writing things down. I feel like once a thought is down on paper, I can stop THINKING about it and actually DO it 🙂

Sophie |

Agree 100% Practice and push through it! X

Great post – I have anxiety too so I can relate. Your blog is beautiful by the way.

the burbage factor

i really love U right now…………………………………….. i need these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

always come back to this post when anxiety asks for a kick in the … 🙂

I think the most useful method for getting over anxiety is writing down everything going around your head…. As you’ve said prioritize your work by that…. really helpful….