That’s right, you deserve better.

We all struggle with insecurities, and because of these insecurities, we start to try to justify situations that aren’t right for us – whether it’s a job, a relationship or a friendship.  I myself have (and continue to) struggled with the insecurities brought on by my past. It’s more than just physical insecurities, but the idea that sometimes I feel like I’m too damaged – like I’ve been through too much in my life.

Why You Deserve Better | Inspiration

Maybe I’m just too f-cked up, and thus incapable of being loved because of the struggles of my past.  Sometimes I wish my parents had stayed together instead of getting divorced when I was 7 – maybe then I’d have had a mother to raise me and maybe life would have been different.  Maybe if I hadn’t been treated like complete sh-t in my past relationship, I wouldn’t be so scared to give all of myself to someone again.  Maybe if my father hadn’t passed away, I’d be less scarred, and I wouldn’t get sad seeing a father and daughter on a subway train, or when a father walks his daughter down the aisle on her wedding day.

But all of this doesn’t ever get me anywhere but curled up in my bed crying about things that don’t matter.

I’ve realized that you have to learn to let things go – memories that don’t make you smile, things that don’t add true value, and people who don’t make you feel the way you should – happy, loved and beautiful.

You have to close the wounds you’ve been left with – from whatever relationship, traumatic experience or getting fired from a job you loved/hated – you have to close these wounds for yourself, and by yourself. Because if you don’t, you’ll always look back, wishing, wanting and regretting things that weren’t meant to be in the first place.

And on those nights when you feel completely alone, like no one will understand you or have the answers to your questions – remember that loneliness is designed to help you discover who you are – so that you’ll stop looking outside yourself for your worth.

So when that boyfriend, husband, wife, sister, friend constantly takes advantage of you and puts you down – you’ll eventually build the strength to take nothing less than what you deserve.  Or when you’re working day in and day out at a company that doesn’t value your opinion, your eye, your knowledge – or your boss is a complete d-ck for no apparent reason other than the fact that he/she is unhappy with his/her own miserable life – you’ll have the confidence to seek out a new career and find a company that appreciates and values you as an employee.

People stay in unhappy situations because they’re comfortable and/or too scared of what’s on the other side. You cannot be one of those people. Because you deserve better. And you’ll find someone who will love you through success and failure – so that you can discover how little life has to do with either.

So when you feel unlucky, or you start to feel bad about yourself – take a second to see how far you’ve come.  You’ve been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.  Let go of the pity of your past.  Because you weren’t put on this earth to break even. You’re here to break rules, break records, and break through.

People ask me, “How did you do it? How did you change your life? How did you just leave everything behind to travel the world and live the life of your dreams?

I just woke up one day and decided I didn’t want to feel like sh-t – at home, at my job, in my relationship – anymore, or ever again.  So I changed. Just like that.

So I’m writing this letter to you because we all (myself included) need reminders – gentle reminders that get us up out of bed to take back control of our happiness. Please don’t be ashamed of your past.  Your scars are what make you beautiful.  Your story is one that can and will inspire someone else in this world. You have a purpose to why you exist, why you live, why you breathe, why you were placed in the town or city that you grew up in, to be raised the way that you did. And you deserve better.

Thank you so much for reading.  Follow me on instagram for more motivation + inspiration in real time: @projectinspo

With love,

16 COMMENTS ON "Why You Deserve Better"

Meriam Elpis Seboka

I love this post my love ! Keep inspiring !!!

Thank you! Perfectly said! 🙂

Wow, I feel like we all need to be reminded of this and often. It’s so easy to get into the downward spiral of thinking and get stuck there.& it’s funny how, of course, all human beings feel emotions like this but from my perspective, I didn’t think you did– you seem to have it all! On top of being a reminder to go after what we want, this post is an even greater reminder that the human experience is universal– we’re really all in this together. Thank you!

— Mel //

Love this read! I had that similar feeling of waking up and deciding to make a change in my life. Great post

Love this post! I relate so much! Such a powerful message with so much love <3 THANK YOU SO MUCH! 🙂

Isobel cunningham

Thank you for this post. I am an older woman and believe me, we still need reminders like this to keep us on track and to break bad ” thought habits”

What an inspiring read. Thank you so much for posting this!

xo, Liz

Perfect post… i´m truly thrilled… almost cried at the end…Thank you for your letter!

Diana Maria

I love this post so much, I think it’s so true that loneliness helps us stop searching for things outside of ourselves to help us discover who we are. So insightful.

My Lovelier Days

WOW! And, THANK GOD, for nocturnal reasons to go pee. I’m in Austin and it’s 3:20 am. I dragged myself out of a heavy, feels-like-drug-included sleep to go to the bathroom and decided I needed a spoonful of ice cream to get back to sleep. Laptop’s on the bed, of course, so I flipped the top up and stumbled onto your Blog. Thank you. If this blog had come w/ a “self-check card” – then I’d have scored an 80 percent on “Yes, yes, and YES I do that and feel that and feel hopeless about THAT!” Hittin’ the pillow… READ MORE »

Your posts are so timely… Thank you so very much!

I loved this post. Thank you so much for being brave and sharing this with us.

What a wonderful reminder! Thank you for sharing 🙂

Thank you for such inspiring words! I feel like I can handle with my issues and carry with me just what really matters! My best wishes to you Jinna! Kisses from Brazil!!

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear… READ MORE »

Great blog you have got here.. It’s hard to find high-quality
writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you!
Take care!!