These are the top 12 countries that are well-known to cater to the solo traveler – due to their safety, popularity among other solo travelers, and overall guaranteed to give you the time of your life.

I’m not going to try to convince you that you should travel alone at least once in your life. Well, at least not in this post.

(READ: 5 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone At Least Once In Your Life)

Some of my favorite trips ever taken were those that I took alone. So get that wanderlust kicked into high gear, and scroll down for the world’s best destinations for the solo traveler.

1. Iceland

2. Australia
Great Barrier Reef | Australia

3. Vietnam
Vietnam | Best Destinations For Solo Traveler

4. Thailand
thailand elephants

5. Italy
Cinque Terre | Italy | Solo Travel

6. Japan
mount fuji japan cherry blossoms

7. Croatia
Dubrovnik, Croatia | Solo Travel

8. New Zealand
new zealand | solo travel
photo: Joshua Eversham

9. Ireland
Ireland | Solo Travel

10. Norway
Northern Lights, Norway | Solo Travel

11. Costa Rica
Costa Rica | Solo Travel

12. Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia | Solo Travel

Thank you so much for reading this post! For more inspiration + daily motivation + photo updates, follow this community on instagram (@projectinspo) and facebook.

Do you have any other suggestions on where to go when traveling alone? Leave a comment below!

With love,

10 Secrets To Traveling Smarter, Cheaper, & Longer

33 COMMENTS ON "The World’s Best Destinations For The Solo Traveler"

Iceland is my number one, purely for the Northern lights.
Croatia sounds amazing too though.
Lovely post,

I am definitely thinking about Iceland for next year! Definitely want to see the Northern Lights, as well as the volcano Eyjafjallajökull (had to Google that).

I have to say…every country is a great destination for solo travellers! I have personally found Mexico to be particularly amazing, and I can’t wait to visit Vietnam (solo)

oh my goodness, what can be more real and inspiring than seeing new places?

September Rules

Heeeey I’m vietnamese! Haha. Love these destinations, great share!

hannie ;

Beautiful places. Excited to be visiting Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia this year.

Henry Da Eighth
Quite the list! While my 2 trips to Japan were with friends and family, I love the fact that I’ve been to other countries as a solo traveler. So far, I’ve been to London, England; Copenhagen, Denmark; Munich, Germany; Zurich, Switzerland; Paris, France…and Dublin, Ireland. All places I would definitely recommend. I’m excited to say that I”ll be checking off two more from your list this year: New Zealand and Australia, while also checking out China and South Korea. While I can certainly appreciate traveling with friends and/or family, there is something to be said about the freedom that comes… READ MORE »
Timi Komonibo

Wow, what a list! I’m going on my first solo trip this year. Starting in Copenhagen, Denmark and then will drift over to Sweden and Germany before headed home to the US. I’m pumped!

That sounds awesome!! Copenhagen for me was a layover, but it was a 7.5 hour layover, so it still gave me enough time to do some exploring. A must do while there is to go see The Little Mermaid statue, arguably one of Copenhagen’s top attractions. Hopefully Sweden does happen next year, if not definitely the next. Enjoy it! I have to go back to Germany. I was there in late September 2013 for Oktoberfest, so I did not get to see as much as I got to drink a lot of beer. Still a win win. 🙂 I hope… READ MORE »

What a gorgeous list! x

Katina |

Beautiful and definitely most of them are on my list. I would also say Amsterdam is pretty to navigate and travel around solo.

So many amazing places for me to go

Leonie ♥ IkonikBeauty

Amazing photos! But I am no solo traveller – I love having company from the start. Smeone I like, love to have fun with. With someone I can be quiet and it doesn´t get awkward. 🙂

x M.

Wonderful post and amazing picture

All these places look gorgeous! I’ve never been travelling before but have been wanting to start for a while, now I just need to decide where I want to visit first!

I want to go to all of these places. But I am so scared to travel alone, but I do want to try it someday.

As an Aussie, I love Hawaii and France and have travelled solo to both several times.

Only three down, and every single other one is on my list! This post has given me even more wanderlust than I already had!

Cathy Alexa Maxwell

I just did Croatia and Turkey solo, and have done some of the others on your list in previous years. Iceland is on my agenda, also New Zealand. Thanks for the inspiration!

Totally forget solo travel in Australia if you are over 35. There is far too much ageism and you are treated as invisible. As a friendly, easy going, attractive Australian who is 40 plus I have given up solo travel in my country, no one enjoys constantly being totally ignored, being given the worst rooms, or placed at the bottom of every list. The majority of travel ads in Australia focus only on 20 something age groups or families with young children, the rest of us do not exist. This does not happen when I travel in other countries, I… READ MORE »
Annie Roth

London for sure! What makes a place good for traveling alone? Not that it’s naturally beautiful – which all of these are. But things like ease of getting around, plenty of things to do by yourself, safety – all of which London offers solo travelers.

These places all look amazing! I’m considering traveling alone for the first time but do you ever feel lonely when traveling alone or just like you have no one to share your experiences with? 🙂

Philip Scheibli

Any city, be it a metropolis or a hidden gem. Haven’t you had the experience that you wanted to visit that new exhibition while your partner couldn’t refrain from an extra round of shopping ? Nowadays it’s pretty easy to refer to useful suggestions from locals on many different websites or apps.

I would love to go to any of these places! But whenever I go to new places by myself I always think how much better it would be to experience it with someone else, even if it’s just so I can say “ooohh look at that” haha

NYC Style Cannoli

I travel to NYC all the time alone and enjoy it very much. So much to do to keep busy and I get to meet new people as well. Wonder how London would be solo? It is on my bucket list.

Such an inspiration. I’d love to travel alone someday. Oh! Spain is a great place to travel alone too. The people are friendly and wouldn’t cost too much either. I had a great time 🙂 🙂 🙂

OMG, I want to go to Australia, Japan, Vietnam and Indonesia. I’ve already been to Ireland & Italy, my fav countries of all time.

Alfredo Ciano

Amazin’ Images My Sweet Jinna !!! I Wait You in Italy for a New Marvelous Post !!! ByeBye , Lots of Fun !!!

Babak V
1 year 1 month ago

I want to add another country to the list and that is Taiwan. Great place to visit, lovely people and great safety!

Ireland looks awesome for me. I plan to go someday. But now I still live and work in Bangkok, Thailand.

I cannot speak for the above mentioned Asian destinations, but I can tell you when I was solo traveller in China it was once in a lifetime experience. Having said that, I lived there for a couple of months, prior to the big trip. Lifechanger!

Vietnam and Australia cannot be compared to any other places in the world…Surprisingly, that the majority of the places are situated either in Asia or Oceania…Very grateful for this delight to watch the photos, they are marvelous!